Wednesday 14 January 2015

Napolitano Gone At Last


Parliamentary democracy is restored in Italy.  Giorgio Napolitano's letter of resignation is delivered to Matteo Renzi, the Prime Minister (not the prime minister Napolitano wanted - and installed - but the one  we wanted and who forced the removal of Enrico Letta).

There were lots of horses, lots of caped carabinieri with plumed hats, lots of bowing and scraping, but the years of occupation of the office of President, accompanied by gross attempts to extend the powers and practices of that office, are over. 

2 comments:

Sackerson said...

Backstory?

buildingstoat said...

This sounds like good news but I'm afraid I know so little about Italian politics I don't know what to make of it. I read in various places that financially and politically Italy is circling the plug hole but I don't know any details. If you felt inclined to write more about the situation there, I, for one, would be very grateful.